Monday, January 18, 2021

We Get Referrals From Influencers

Last week I received one of the highest compliments an insurance agent can get. My client, whom I have worked with off and on for several years, handed me a sheet of paper with about a dozen names on it. "These are friends of mine. Some are family. I told them what a good job you do and how you don't pressure me into anything. They are expecting you to call them."

This was a big surprise because I mention referrals from time to time but don't push for them as much as I probably should. There have been times when I have been chastised by my sales manager for not using the litany of Jedi mind tricks we are taught. Having a nice list of names presented to me is a different matter altogether.

There are times when I will explain to a client how they can take "ownership" in my business by giving referrals. The reasoning is that if a client refers me to a friend or family member, I can spend more time working with that person instead of prospecting. One of the many dirty little secrets of the insurance business is that we spend a lot of time just trying to get clients, especially at the beginning of an agent's career. It can take time away from helping the clients we have so clients feel they are helping themselves when them give us someone to see.

A former coworker of mine used to say that the hardest part of the job was finding someone to talk to. It's true. It's a constant battle to find new clients when you sell something that people really don't want to think about. I've heard people say things like, "I'm saving up for a car" or "I'm saving up for a down payment on a house." Nobody says, "I'm saving my money for an insurance policy." 

One of the reasons a lot of agents don't like to ask for referrals is because many clients don't care to give them because they have gotten burned in the process. A typical example goes like this. Bob, the agent, meets his new prospect, Mary and asks her for a referral. She reluctantly gives Bob the name of a coworker, Jim. Bob calls Jim, who isn't interested and berates Mary. "Why did you give that guy my name? I thought we were friends!" Jim says to Mary. Mary is hurt and never gives another referral.

There are several problems here but the obvious one is that Bob hasn't proven himself to be a good agent. Mary just met the guy for goodness sake! How would she know if he is going to be a decent agent or if his insurance products are worthwhile?

This is why, on those occasions when I do get referrals, they come from clients I already work with, who have had time to see that I'm working for them. Those clients are "influencers" in a way because they hold sway with their friends and family members.

So when someone, like my client who gave me that list of names to call, takes the time to do something like that, I know I have earned it. It really is the best compliment someone can give me. That list will potentially make me some money, but what it really does is let me know that my client has taken ownership of my insurance practice. And she is trusting me to work with those people and with the same degree of professionalism I did with her. 

We appreciate all referrals and introductions at Surf Financial Brokers and look forward to helping you and your friends. In the meantime, please stay healthy!

 

Chris Castanes is the president of Surf Financial Brokers, helping people find affordable life and disability insurance coverage. He's also is a professional speaker helping sales people be more productive and efficient and has spoken to professional and civic organizations throughout the Southeast. And please subscribe to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment