Friday, May 8, 2020

A Great Disability Insurance Story

As it's Disability Insurance Awareness Month (DIAM), I thought I'd share a story about one of my clients. We will call her Mary to protect her identity. 

Several years ago, Mary had married one of my clients, who insisted that she purchase some life insurance and a disability policy. Mary was reluctant at first, but agreed and purchased both because "my husband told me to." She was very sweet about it all and I think she was just humoring me as well as her new spouse. Each of the newlyweds were small business owners. 

A year or so after she was approved for her policy she was at home when she smelled something burning. A fire had started around an electrical outlet and she managed to get out of the house, only to realize that her beloved pets were still inside. She went back in to rescue them but the fumes and smoke were too much. The fire and rescue people found her alive but burned badly. 

I was totally unaware of the situation until I read a mention of it on Facebook. Not sure of her condition, I called her husband who said she had been moved to a burn center out of state. He had already forgotten about the policy she bought, so I sent him the claim forms, which he forwarded to her mother who was taking care of her (he had to tend to his business).

Within a few weeks the insurance company was sending out the benefit checks. Mary was unaware of any of this because she was heavily sedated. Every few months I would get copied on correspondence from the company as they continued to pay the claim. After months of healing and rehabilitation, Mary was able to leave the care of her medical team. I heard she was back in town but hadn't seen her, so I was surprised when she crept up behind me in a Mexican restaurant and gave me a hug. 

"I just want to say thank you for making sure I had that policy and following up," she said. "That money came in handy while I was away!" We spoke for a few more minutes and she left. Even though she was still on the mend she looked great and I was happy to see her in good spirits.





I share this story people because it shows how a good disability policy works. Even though the vast majority of claims are actually for illnesses, her story resonates and has led to more people asking for this coverage. In these times of Covid19, people are starting to realize the value of good insurance and we are here to help. 

If you're curious as to how much a policy like this would cost, run yourself an estimate on the "Get A Quote" tool in the upper right of the page.  Stay healthy and let us know if you need anything.


Chris Castanes is the president of Surf Financial Brokers, as well as a professional speaker helping sales people be more productive and efficient

No comments:

Post a Comment