Monday, July 6, 2020

Professionalism In Life Insurance

Selling insurance is a highly regulated affair. Agents have to go through a series of exams and ongoing training in many areas, such as our duties and responsibilities as fiduciaries. In my home state of South Carolina, for example, we are required to have a portion of our continuing education courses include an ethics class.

All of this revolves around the professionalism of agents selling life and disability insurance, as well as other types of coverage, such as cancer plans, Medicare supplements and more. When talking to clients, agents have to discern to the best of their ability, what is in the interest of the client. That means asking a lot of questions and learning what the client's needs and budget are. 

I have had people get mad at me as I questioned them on their debt, income, family dynamics and work life. It is a process we in the business call "fact finding", but it can be intrusive to some. At the end of the process I usually ask for some feedback like, "How do feel about the conversation we just had?" I get all kinds of responses, from "uncomfortable" to "good". But the most common remark I hear back is, "You made me think of things I hadn't considered before." 

Getting people out of their comfort zone is part of being an effective life insurance agent. But the key is to do it professionally and tactfully. I have witnessed agents berating clients and squirmed as they made comments like,"What were you thinking when you took on all that debt?" or "Why would you want such a small policy?" Not good.

One of the reasons it is legislated to take continuing education courses is because of these kinds of actions. On many occasions I have wanted to scream at someone for making a bad financial decision, but I don't. Clients usually are aware of their own bad choices and giving them a hard time about it doesn't make me a good agent. Instead, I try to bring up the subject and think of ways "we" can resolve it. 

Another part of this discussion is how we deal with our senior clients. As mentioned earlier, many agents work in the Medicare market, which also can lead to sales in final expense life insurance and products dealing with chronic illness, like Long Term Care and our newer Short Term Home Health Care policies. I have colleagues who love to work in the "senior market" and are very good at it. They are patient and very low-key, which is how it should be done. Many times they'll ask the client if there are any adult children who need to be involved in the process and invite them to participate in the discussions. Again, it is all about ethics and doing the right thing. This is also a great way to build trust and earn referrals.

I, on the other hand, prefer to work with business owners and self-employed individuals. Nothing against seniors, but as an entrepreneur, I appreciate that these people typically have no benefits through work and have to cobble together a "package" to protect themselves and their families. Again, I have a duty to find out what their pain points are and find the best way to help. 

One thing that can get people off track is the word "commission". Yes, I work on commission, as do countless others in the insurance industry, but that doesn't make us all sinister and greedy. Are there a few bad apples? Of course, but as I've stated in earlier posts, those agents usually don't last long in the business. As the president of Surf Financial Brokers, I am always on the lookout for good agents, but I usually will only take on an agent who has been in the industry for at least two years. It's not a very scientific approach but it let's me know that the agent will probably stick around for the right reasons.

If you need help with your life or disability insurance, please let us know. You can book a phone appointment here. And as always, stay healthy. 

Chris Castanes is the president of Surf Financial Brokers, helping people find affordable life and disability insurance coverage. He's also is a professional speaker helping sales people be more productive and efficient and has spoken to professional and civic organizations throughout the Southeast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment