Friday, June 5, 2020

Do You Consider Yourself To Be A Forward Thinker?



I spent this week cleaning out my father's house. He passed away in February after a battle with Parkinson's Disease, leaving us with some several bills. As I mentioned at the time, he had used the equity in his home to pay for his care instead of taking the advice of his son (me) to purchase long term care insurance when I brought up the subject years ago.

Hindsight is 20/20. However, as I go through boxes of old pictures of my parents when they were much younger and healthy, I realize that it wasn't really that long ago. With that in mind, I also know that it won't be too much farther in the future when I could be in the same situation.

Being chronically ill is an expensive proposition. Nursing homes, assisted living facilities and home health care are not cheap. Ask anyone who has had to pay for such care. But just as knowing that our own death is inevitable, we have to come to terms with the probability that we may need to find a way to cover these expenses, or be a burden to our children.

My father with is mother and sister, circa 1933

The whole point of buying any kind of insurance is to shift the burden to someone else, namely the insurance company. No one is going to lend you money for your care, as you won't be able to repay that loan. Nor does anyone really want to contribute to a GoFundMe page when you could be taking care of this from now.

Take some time to think it over. Do you want to be a financial burden? Do you want your family to interrupt their lives to care for you? They will out of love, but there are better options, some more affordable than others. Let us know if we can help, and as always, please stay healthy.

Chris Castanes is the president of Surf Financial Brokers, as well as a professional speaker helping sales people be more productive and efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment