Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Should There Be Humor In Insurance?

Selling insurance is a serious business to most people. Let's face it, life insurance, disability insurance and other lines like cancer and accident plans are heavy subjects. Sitting with a client and talking about how their family will handle it when they die isn't the happiest discussion of the day. And asking them how they think their loved one will handle the family's finances if they can't work or become chronically ill is necessary, but not the kind of conversation one considers enjoyable. 

As an agent and insurance broker, I've had people tell me that they just want to avoid these doom and gloom topics. I completely understand that our everyday lives are full of negativity and bad news, especially with a pandemic and economic troubles in the news each day. But some topics, like making sure that your family is taken care of, have to be considered.

With this in mind, I try to keep the conversation serious, but not too serious. Half of the battle is to keep a good demeanor and let the client know that the seriousness of what we are trying to accomplish, which is securing the financial future of a family. 

However, sometimes a little humor injected into a conversation lightens the mood. I'm not advocating wearing a clown outfit when meeting with clients. But I do think that tossing in a little humor doesn't hurt anyone and keeps it all in perspective. Check out the video below to see how a bit of humor is okay.


A good example of this is when I discuss life insurance with a client. Part of the talk usually involves funeral costs. The average funeral runs about $7360, according to the National Funeral Directors Association, and there are usually some other expenses associated with death, like a brief hospital stay. To be safe, I may give a client an illustration for $10k. I sometimes will include a second illustration for $15k and show that as well. 

When the client asks why I show two illustrations I say, "The first quote covers the cost of your funeral. The second one is for the funeral plus an open bar for your mourners." That usually gets a chuckle. I even had one client take the higher coverage.

In my 20+ years in the business, I've worked with people who tried to be either too serious, or thought that they were standup comedians. Personally, I try to get to know my client a bit before trying to inject jokes. And I have even had clients who took a dark subject, like their own death, and made light of it. 

One client of mine began by telling me, in front of his wife and kids, that he had been shopping around for someone to cremate him and was on the hunt for the best rates. "I think I've got a guy down to $750, but I want him to guarantee that rate." His wife looked on in horror as he laughed at his own comment. "She's worried that the crematorium will increase the price when I'm not around to argue," he said with a sly grin. Dark humor at it's best.

Someone once said that people won't always remember everything you say, but they will remember how you made them feel when you said it. I don't expect my clients to remember every facet of the policy they are considering, but I do want them to feel comfortable and know that I'm looking out for their best interest, hopefully with a little humor.

Chris Castanes is the president of Surf Financial Brokers, helping people find affordable life and disability insurance coverage. He's also is a professional speaker helping sales people be more productive and efficient and has spoken to professional and civic organizations throughout the Southeast. And please subscribe to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment