Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Stay Healthy and You Can Save Money

This weekend I went to a grocery store that is a part of a large chain based in the southeast. They have a pharmacy that offers flu shots, which I get each year to ward off the winter's ailments. Even though many of my friends have said that it the vaccination doesn't work for them, for me it is a lifesaver. 

In the past I would get sick with a head cold at least three times each winter, with an additional case of the flu thrown in for good measure. However, since I began getting the flu shot about five years ago, I might have one good cold each year. This let's me work more, stay more active and overall feel better. As they say, an ounce of prevention...

One of the nice perks about getting my flu shot at this store is that they give me a gift card for $10 after my injection, which I promptly redeem for a lovely cheesecake. It has become a bit of a joke in our home when I walk in with the delicious dessert in my hand and a band-aid on my arm. "Ah, Chris got his flu shot again!" is the refrain as the family looks for forks and plates.

But the flu shot is a small part of a bigger picture. I'm not the healthiest person in the world, but I do the best I can by trying to eat right, exercise (mostly yard work, which works up a good sweat) and stay off of the carbonated sodas. All of this is done with intention from a lesson learned years ago. 


As an insurance agent, I also understand the value of the product I sell and know the price is better for people who are healthy. Realizing that I needed enough coverage to pay off my mortgage and some debt if I were to die unexpectedly, I applied for a life insurance policy. I also realized that I would need a paramed exam involving blood, urine and testing for height and weight. 

This was about the time that the low-carbohydrate diets were getting popular so I replaced my usual potato chips with pork rinds, thinking I had beaten the system. Boy was I wrong!

After the nurse did her job I found out that instead of my monthly premium going down, it went up by roughly $10 a month. Apparently my cholesterol was very high, and those stupid pork rinds were more than likely the culprit. 

I kept that policy for a year, then I reapplied with another company, this time eating a lot of salads. Why hadn't I thought of that the first time? I dropped some much needed pounds, got my insurance premium back to a reasonable price and I had a newfound respect for salads, which I still enjoy to this day.  

Odds are that you are not going to get much healthier than you are right now. Personally speaking, I have had my share of health problems in the last five years. Hypertension, stomach problems and borderline diabetes suddenly and unexpectedly became issues for me. I'm on medications to keep my numbers under control, but I could just as easily have had a heart attack, stroke or worse. 

What are you waiting for? Protecting your family's future should be a priority for you. Stay as healthy as you possibly can and get that coverage as soon as possible. 

Chris Castanes is the president of Surf Financial Brokers, helping people find affordable life and disability insurance coverage. He's also is a professional speaker helping sales people be more productive and efficient and has spoken to professional and civic organizations throughout the Southeast. And please subscribe to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment